- The prison system in the United States is a profit-making industry. Private corporations operate over 200 facilities nationwide and are traded on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Six corporations control virtually all American media. News Corp. owns over 27 television stations and over 150 newspapers. Time Warner has over 100 subsidaries including CNN, Time Magazine, and The CW.
- The FBI admits to infiltrating & disrupting peaceful political groups in the United States. The Women’s and Civil Rights movements were among those targeted, with their members being beaten, imprisoned, and assassinated.
- In 1977 it was revealed that random American citizens were abducted & tortured for research by the CIA. Project MK Ultra was the code name for a series of covert activities in the early 1950’s.
- A plan to attack American cities to justify war with Cuba was approved by the Joint Chiefs of Staff in 1962. Rejected by President Kennedy, Operation Northwoods remained classified for 35 years.
This website is dedicated to spreading five pieces of factual information (along with complete explanations and sources). It’s got a very simple, easily navigated layout and the URL is simple to remember. Spread it around, if you don’t mind- if everyone knew these things maybe we have a lot less blind nationalism and a lot more calls for accountability.
Fact 1 is well known enough to be made a central part of a CSI episode.
If the individuals behind the actions of the FBI and CIA in the 1950s and 1960s are still available, I’d gladly support this call for accountability. Actually, I support the call for accountability anyway, I just can’t see how certain facts presented above are relevant. For example, how does Time Warner owning CW fit in? It’s not as if there is some conspiracy to cover such facts up. Actually, that there are SIX companies controlling the media (at least two of which have opposing biases) is rather impressive. Compare that to other countries, democratic and otherwise.
I guess my point is - don’t assume all nationalism is blind. I could add to the fact list - for example, do you remember those syphilis experiments? I 100% accept that the U.S. (and every other) government has done horrendous things and an overhaul of the FBI and CIA is called for…but I still drive on roads federal money helped build and eat food grown with the help of federal aide…and depend on the CDC to help predict which flu strains it will most be beneficial to vaccinate against…have a job in large part do to federal student aide (ever heard of Pell grants?)…expect the FAA to inspect planes so I can feel safer flying…the National Guard and Corps of Engineers to stand alert and ready to protect my town if that levee did break…and the list goes on. So, yes, there is no doubt that change is needed but unless you’re ready to give up all the things on that list, maybe you should see that some support (like paying taxes) for the government isn’t a bad thing.
Annnddd, I’m stepping off my soapbox now.